Answer the question “Why does my child have to do this homework?”
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
If you ever assign homework, you have likely dealt with the “Why does my child have to do this homework?” question from parents. In my experience, these complaints are often from parents who have different expectations about learning and the role of home and school than you do. Furthermore, parents now question teachers about homework more than ever claiming that valuable family time is being lost.
Without a doubt, we need to be prepared to answer their questions. Today we hear compelling evidence from the authors of Hacking Homework: 10 Strategies That Inspire Learning Outside the Classroom about how to consider our homework practices.
In this show,Teachers Starr Sackstein and Connie Hamilton will connect research to the real-life classroom. Let’s rethink homework and prepare ourselves with a homework solution that fits with what works.
ClassTag: Today’s Sponsor
Show Notes: How to Assign Homework Without Wasting Everybody’s Time
- When is homework meaningful and helpful?
- Does the research have different recommendations by age level about homework?
- Are there some practical ways of assigning homework that improve learning?
- What should we do and not do with homework at various grade levels?
- Teachers should be intentional, purposeful and specific about homework.
- The struggle to give meaningful homework and not just busy work.
- Hear Starr’s and Connie’s pep talk for teachers about homework that works.
- The Book: Hacking Homework: 10 Strategies That Inspire Learning Outside the Classroom
Who are Connie Hamilton and Starr Sackstein?
Connie Hamilton@conniehamilton Ed.S. is a curriculum director in for Saranac Community Schools and a national presenter focusing on questioning, best practices, and leadership.
Starr Sackstein@mssackstein teaches writing and journalism in New York City. Additionally, she is a National Board-certified teacher and the New York director for the Journalism Education Association.
The post How to Assign Homework without Wasting Everybody’s time appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!